Buying gifts for new mums and babies is easier than ever, in that there is so much choice now available in South Africa, which also makes it more difficult than ever, to choose! There are sooo many adorable onesies, shoes and blankies for new baby.
To make it simpler, first decide on your budget, and then gift theme or colour scheme. Your budget will determine if you can afford to go with local designer pieces, or if you have to go bargain hunting at the big commercial shops for imported practical items like vests. Once you’ve decided on a theme, you can start collecting matching pieces to take your baby shower gift hamper to the next level. Supporting local businesses will make your gift more unique and heirloom quality – there are so many cute, and lush products made in South Africa, some favourites:
- Mayalief – baby decor items and accessories, developmental toys, fabric dolls, milestone cards
- Oh-lief – 100% Certified Natural & Organic baby, body and sun care products
- Mungo – 100% Organic Cotton Cellular Baby Blankets
Then add a personal touch for a truly unique gift new parents will appreciate for their newest addition. The options to add a piece of your own personality to the baby gift are nearly infinite, and what you choose ultimately depends on your budget, i.e. upper, lower, or mid-range:
- If the new baby is especially dear to you or you have the budget for it, there are plenty of companies specializing in luxury baby gifts and brands for the upper end market, including monogrammed keepsakes, designer nappy bags, and nursery furniture such as moses baskets. There are many online shops with baby ranges and specialist baby boutiques in cities in South Africa.
- Or if you have a really tight budget, you can still put together your own DIY baby gift basket by choosing a container such as a baby bath or laundry basket, and then filling it with practical gifts such as nappies, soothing plush toys, wet wipes, body wash and shampoo, a teething ring, digital thermometer, swaddle blankets, bum cream, babygros, socks, and beanies.
- We’ve made it easy for you with the hand-selected range of ready-to-ship baby gift boxes you can buy online, and get delivered. Get some more tips on baby shower gifting, or contact us to get a quote for one-of-a-kind custom baby gift hampers curated just for you and your baby gift needs.
Gift Baskets for New Parents
New parents will be really tired and not have a lot of free time. An edible gift basket will be hugely appreciated at midnight, 3am, 6am… Keep it light and healthy, something like organic dried fruit and nuts. To help her steal a quick nap, a soothing eye pillow and clean burning scented candle. And to sooth sore tired bones and skin, a facial steam and foot soak.
I hope this sparks some awesome ideas for you and new baby, good luck, xo.