I have so many fond memories of my Grandparents. I remember my ‘Ouma’ making the most delicious Brandy pudding and my ‘Oupa’ playing the piano. He is even composed a beautiful song for me. There are so many great reasons to celebrate Grandparents.
National Grandparent’s Day is celebrated on the 13th September in some countries and on the 4th October in South Africa.
Grandparents give us so many wonderful things and I would like to honour all Grandparents around the world.
Reasons to celebrate grandparent’s day:
- Grandparents give us such fond memories. My Grandmother spent most of her time in the kitchen, baking, juicing, cleaning and whatever she made was delicious. My Grandfather took us to the bunny park, loved to tell stories, give advice and always had time to listen too.
- Grandparents are teachers. They have a lifetime of valuable experience. Grandchildren soak up all their teachings and somehow they manage to make it all fun.
- Grandparents play an important role in our communities. Some Grandparents look after their grandchildren so parents can go to work. Some Grandparents volunteer to assist in charities and non-profit organizations. They are not paid for their time and give so freely of it.
- Grandparents provide us with our family history, traditions and culture. My Mom can spend hours telling her grandchildren absolutely everything about the families past.
- Grandparents give the best hugs. There was no time limit on the hugs my Grandparents used to give.
Grandparents are very special and if you are fortunate enough to have them in your life, take this opportunity to tell them just how wonderful they are.
great ways to celebrate Grandparent’s Day:
- Send them a lovely gift: No matter how big or small, Grandparents will be thrilled to receive a little gift of appreciation. Make them a photo album of memories, a scrapbook or even just a card. There are some lovely gift options at our online store or create a custom gift, something special and meaningful.
- Take them on an outing: Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens or any Botanical Garden or Park with a little picnic is a great way to celebrate Grandparent’s Day. Delicious lunch or even cake and tea at your local coffee shop is a treat for them. Listen to their stories and make more memories.
- Give them a call or video call them: If you are not able to see your Grandparents on Grandparent’s Day, surprise them with a phone call or video call using WhatsApp, Skype or Zoom. I know my Mom is always thrilled to to receive a call from my teenage kids and they absolutely adore her quirkiness.
I think the most important things we can give our Grandparents are love, quality time and companionship.
“Love is the greatest gift that one generation can leave for another.”
~ Richard Garnett
A heartfelt thank you to all Grandparents for the important role you play in our lives and for always giving the best hugs.