Looking for the perfect gift for your dad this Fathers Day? You’re sure to make him feel chuffed with simple but meaningful personalised gifts, and/or quality-time. Sunday, 16 June 2019 is Fathers Day in South Africa.
How to do Father’s Day the right way
Here’s how we can help you spoil your dad this Father’s Day:
- Make him a home-made gift box tailored to his personality – see tips below.
- If you just don’t have the time, buy online – gourmet treats from Yuppie Chef, accessories, outdoor gear from Cape Union Mart or order a Father’s day gift online – and have it delivered directly to his address in South Africa before* the day.
- Make a plan for the day or set a date in future that you will get together to do some fun activity so he has something specific to look forward to, and stick to it, book it now before promising! e.g.
- go fishing or book a round golf (or just put-put), whatever activity he would enjoy
- find an event you think he’ll like to go with you on Computicket
- visit a historic site or take a steam train trip, classic cars, etc.
- or even if it’s just lunch at a restaurant with good fish and chips or amazing views
- Or pack a hamper of coffee (or tea) in a flask and whole stick of biltong (or chocolate, you get the idea), perhaps some fold-out chairs if his knees are not too good, and take a little trip to a look-out point nearby while you spend a little quality time just sitting together enjoying each others company and the view.
Best Father’s Day DIY home-made gift ideas for 2019
Here are some ideas and gifting tips:
- A picture frame and/or photo collage – with you and/or family members and memories
- Something he can strong and lasting, like leather accessories
- or gourmet chocolate and coffee set
- or wooden chopping board, biltong stick, leatherman multi-tool knife
- or braai set with spices, quality apron, tongs, etc.
- and quality whisky, wine, or quality craft beers
- throw in an iTunes or book-store voucher
- Got an open budget? A bike, a speaker system or simple vinyl record player, good binoculars, a watch or cool shades
Source a small wooden crate or box from a local market, line with tissue or newspaper, and pack with your goodies. Add a hand-written card, and voilà!
Bonus tip: For first time dads make him a new dad nappy changing survival kit: apron, belt, or tool box
If you can’t be with him on Fathers Day this year
*If you’re in another country or in another province and can’t see him or deliver your gift’s personally, make 100% sure your Fathers Day gifts can be delivered before Sunday the 16th using a delivery service such as Postnet to have it delivered to him during the work week before the day – tell him not to open till Sunday. Follow up with a call or skype chat to share the love on the day.
How not to do Father’s Day
You’re going to start seeing cheap stuff in the promo aisles of the supermarkets, and it’s so easy to grab a few items for dad… but they’re so, well, cheap s#@*! You know deep down it’s not really good enough, but just don’t have the time or imagination or just don’t know where to find the good stuff… if the ideas above haven’t given you enough inspiration to DIY, give us a shout and we’ll build a custom Father’s Day gift hamper for you.
He’s so proud of you, show him you care too. Happy Father’s Day 2019!