Looking for the perfect gift for your dad this Fathers Day? You’re sure to make him feel chuffed with simple but meaningful personalised gifts, and/or quality-time. Sunday, 20 June 2021 is Father’s Day in South Africa.
How to do Father’s Day the right way
Here’s how we can help you spoil your dad this Father’s Day:
- Make him a home-made gift box tailored to his personality – see tips below.
- If you just don’t have the time, buy online – gourmet treats from Yuppie Chef, accessories, outdoor gear from Cape Union Mart or order a Father’s day gift hamper online – and have it delivered to yourself before the weekend of, so you can surprise him with a bonus gift (your presence is the main present).
- Make a plan for the day (or set a date for next year if you can’t be with him during these crazy times). Commit to the get together to do some fun activity so he has something specific to look forward to, and book it in advance now e.g.
- to go fishing or whatever outdoor activity he’ll enjoy.
- visit a historic site or take a steam train trip, classic cars, etc.
- or even if it’s just lunch at a open-air restaurant with good fish and chips or amazing views
- Or pack a hamper of coffee (or tea) in a flask and whole stick of biltong (or chocolate, you get the idea), perhaps some fold-out chairs if his knees are not too good anymore, and take a little trip to a look-out point nearby while you spend a little quality time just sitting together enjoying each others company and the view.
- If you can’t be with him this year order him a Father’s Day gift online and have it delivered directly to his address in South Africa in the week before the Sunday (very few online stores offer weekend delivery in South Africa). Just tell him not to open till Sunday, and follow up with a video call to share the love on the day.
Best Father’s Day DIY home-made gift ideas for 2021
Here are some ideas and gifting tips:
- A picture frame and/or photo collage – with you and/or family members and memories
- Something strong and lasting to cherish, like leather accessories
- or gourmet chocolate and coffee set
- or wooden chopping board, whole biltong, leatherman multi-tool knife
- or braai set with spices, quality canvas apron, tongs, etc.
- top quality whisky, wine, or craft beers
- throw in an iTunes or book-store voucher
- Got an open budget? A bike, a speaker system or simple vinyl record player, good binoculars, a watch, hiking hat, or cool shades
Source a small wooden crate or box from a local market, line with tissue or newspaper, and pack with your goodies. Add a hand-written card, and voilà!
Bonus tip: For first time dads make him a new dad nappy changing survival kit in an apron, belt, or tool box
How not to do Father’s Day
You’re going to start seeing cheap stuff in the promo aisles of the supermarkets, and it’s so easy to grab a few items for dad… but they’re so, well, cheap s#@*! You know deep down it’s not really good enough, but just don’t have the time or imagination or just don’t know where to find the good stuff
Order a Father’s Day Gift Hamper Online
The limited edition 2021 Father’s Day gift collection is live:
If the ideas above haven’t given you enough inspiration or are not quite what you had in mind, give us a shout as it is possible build a custom Father’s Day gift hamper for him (note this service needs more time and budget).
He’s so proud of you, show him you care too. Happy Father’s Day!