It’s 2019, you’re an adult now. Want to spoil your mom because you know it makes her happy but can’t be with her to celebrate this year? Here’s how to pull off a successful Mother’s Day to show your love when you’re not able to be there to give her a big fat hug.
The Ol’ Breakfast in Bed Treat
A traditional Mother’s Day morning in South Africa starts with mom pretending to sleep through the frenetic and often clumsy attempt by the kid/s (sometimes with the help of dad/helper) to get mommy a home-made breakfast in bed before she “wakes up”. Once proudly presented mom is SO surprised – not really after all the loud whispering and clamour in the kitchen – and grateful – really – to be presented with a tray of coffee, toast, and eggs, or tea, pancakes, cream and strawberries, with a home- or school-made card, and maybe even a little flower or two. Even if the eggs are overdone, the tea cold, this time-honoured tradition leaves her glowing for the day and becomes a cherished comforting memory for life.
Problem is, the kids all grown up now, and you and your mum are 100s and 1000s of kms apart or just can’t be with her that weekend… and Sunday 12 May is coming up REAL fast but you still want to show your mom just how much she is loved and appreciated even though you can’t physically be with her on the special day this year.
How to do Mother’s Day for Grown Up Kids
Whether you’re in another country or in another province, you can still find show her you are thinking of her – here’s how we can help you spoil your mom this Mother’s Day:
- Top tip 1: send her a hand-written card – with or without a gift, this will mean the world to her, the only next-best thing besides being with you, and better than anything else.
- Make her a home-made gift box (see tips below).
- If you just don’t have the time, buy a bunch of flowers, chocolates or order a mothers day gift online and have it delivered to her address in South Africa before* the day.
- If possible, set a date in future that you will get together to do some activity, even if it’s just lunch, so she has something specific to look forward to, and stick to it, book it now before promising!
Best Mothers Day DIY home-made gift ideas for 2019
*Make 100% sure your Mothers Day gifts can be delivered BEFORE Sunday the 12th (try Postnet maybe) – but then tell her to keep it unwrapped besides her bed and only open it at x time on Mothers Day, and follow up at or shortly after that time with a phone call to share the joy of the moment. Here are some ideas:
- A picture frame and/or photo collage – with you and/or family members and memories
- Something soft and luxurious – a cashmere shawl or scarf
- A novel, pretty diary (with a hand written note inside the cover) or book-store voucher
- A mini-break, air-ticket to visit you
- A cozy gown and slippers
- A tennis bracelet or jewellery you know she would wear
- Top tip 2.0: If you know you are not going to be able to speak to her on the day, send a recorded voice note instead of the card (not just a missed cellphone call/voice message! An actual pre-recorded message on a physical device, sent some other online/electronic way, or in a teddy, use your imagination and search for options to show you’ve been thoughtful)
You mean the world to her, show her you care too. Happy Mothers Day!